The City of Valley is Hiring!
The City of Valley is currently hiring for a Building Inspector. To apply, send completed resume to Jim Kuester at firstname.lastname@example.org or PO Box 682, Valley, NE 68064.
Valley, Nebraska (Pop. 3,037), which is located along Highway 275 between Omaha and Fremont in western Douglas County, is one of the fastest growing communities in Nebraska. The City is home to seven beautiful sand bottom lakes, three industrial manufacturing plants, and a growing school district. The City sit’s along Highway 275 providing easy access to Omaha and Fremont. Valley is a city of the second class and has a Mayor / Council form of government with four council members and a mayor elected at large.
The City of Valley is a growing community with four new housing developments and a trail system in process and a 140-acre outdoor sports complex scheduled to begin construction in late 2021. The City has many planned improvements to meet the needs of its significant growth including technology upgrades, an $8 million water treatment plant expansion and significant street improvement projects.
The City Building Inspector under the general supervision of the City Administrator, performs a variety of routine and complex technical work to ensure that adopted International Building Code and other related codes and standards are met. Review building plans and specifications and performs inspections in all stage of construction, alteration or repair. Enforces adopted codes, floodplain requirements, and Ordinances regulating zoning, land use, and property maintenance.
Any combination of a Bachelor’s degree with at least 35 semester hours in the physical sciences, civil or architectural engineering, construction management or building technology. Training, education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school plus four years experience in general construction experience or related field.
Electrical Inspector Certification preferred
- Reviews construction plans checking for compliance with applicable building-related codes, issues building permits after code compliance has been determined.
- Performs on-site inspections of construction including inspection of footings, foundations, framing, mechanical systems, completed buildings and land use developments; enters results and time of inspections into computer tracking system.
- Investigates complaints and violations of building related codes, zoning codes, property maintenance codes; issues notices and orders; assists with prosecution of violations as necessary.
- Planning and community development work involving the development and administration of planning projects, programs, and policies designated by the City.
- Research problems and complaints regarding buildings, building construction and code compliance. Responds to complex and sensitive building issues.
- Resolves complex and sensitive customer service issues, either personally, by telephone or in writing. Maintains records and documents customer service issues and resolutions.
- Interacts with the public and explains technical information to both technically and non-technically trained individuals.
- Starting salary is dependent on qualifications, plus a benefit package which includes health, dental, vision, life and disability coverage plus employee deferred compensation plan, vacation, and holidays. The City of Valley is an equal opportunity employer.
Must have Certificates of Completion of available correspondence courses on Building Inspections and certification as a Building Inspector as sponsored by the International Conference of Building Officials within one year of appointment to this classification. Possession of a valid driver’s license when operating a vehicle is necessary to the satisfactory performance of assigned duties.
Apply / Contact
Jim Kuester is the point of contact for the position opening. To apply, send your completed resume to Jim Kuester at email@example.com or PO Box 682, Valley, NE 68064. If you have questions, please contact Jim Kuester at 402-359-2251, ext 304.